About this donation
Bangladesh is a densely populated country where 86 percent of its 150 million people follow Islam. Nearly half of the population lives in poverty and natural disasters leave more than 1 million homeless each year. The rise of Islamic fundamentalism has made Bangladesh a more dangerous place for Christian ministry.
Good News for the poor and homeless
The Bangladesh Baptist Church Fellowship (BBCF) is a group of 480 churches that maintains a passionate commitment to planting churches that holistically serve the country’s tribal groups, Hindu communities and the majority population. Despite religious and political tensions, BBCF continues to grow through the following efforts:
- Church Planting: Since 1990, 259 churches have been planted — including 35 congregations composed of Muslim-background believers — doubling the size of the work.
- Evangelists: BCBF supports 28 full-time evangelists who work in conjunction with churches to share the Good News of Jesus in cities and remote villages. Church members are also trained to engage in personal evangelism and work with evangelists to reach their communities.
- Training: With rapid growth, BCBF has developed a ‘barefoot’ evangelist training program which has been essential to provide leadership for the many new believers. These dedicated leaders serve tirelessly in caring for the needy and provide counseling, spiritual teaching and care.
- Children Hostels: BBCF operates several hostels where bright but disadvantaged rural children can receive the opportunity of a quality education, safe accommodation and nutrition. These children are growing up to become the next leaders in their village and of the church.
- Baptist Aid: BBCF operates one of the region’s leading development agencies. It impacts tens of thousands of people on an annual basis.
- Adopt A Village: This church-based program for community development is a wonderful opportunity for Canadian families or churches to contribute to the transformation of an entire village through partnership with a Bengali couple.
Tax receipts will be issued for gifts of $10 or more.